LO, Wai Lun 盧葦麟 PhD
AREA OF SPECIALTY
Adaptive control, fuzzy control, Computer Visions, and intelligent control and applications of machine learning and computation algorithms in design of power electronic systems.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- BEng in Electrical Engineering 1991
- PhD, Control and Computing, Department Electrical Engineering, 1996
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC POSITIONS
- Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Research Assistant Control and Computing Group, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Research Associate Control and Computing Group, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Control and Computing Group, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Research Fellow, Power Electronic Research Group, Dept. of Electronic Engineering, City University of Hong Kong
- Visiting Research Fellow, Control and Computing Group, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Assistant Professor, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
- Associate Professor, Head of Department of Computer Science, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
PRESENT ACADEMIC POSITIONS
- Head of Department of Computer Science, Professor, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
- Director of Quality Assurance Office, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
- Advisor, Centre for Smart Energy Conversion and Utilization Research, College of Science and Engineering, City University of Hong Kong.
1. Selected Publications
 A.B.Rad and W.L.LO (1994): “Predictive PI Controller”, International Journal of Control, Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 953-975.
 A.B.Rad, K.M.Tsang and W.L.LO (1995): “Adaptive control of dominant time delay systems via polynomial identification”, IEE Proceeding Part-D, Vol. 142, No. 5, Sep, 1995.
 A.B.Rad, W.L.LO and K.M.Tsang (1997): “Self-tuning PID controller using Newton-Raphson search method”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 717-725.
 K.M.Tsang, W.L.LO and A.B.Rad (2000): “Auto-tuning of phase lead controller for non-self regulatory system”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 47, No.1, Feb 2000, pp.203-210
 A.B.Rad,W.L.LO and K.M.Tsang (2000):”Adaptive Time Delay Controller” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 47, No. 6, Dec 2000, pp. 1350-1353.
 J.Zhang, S.H.Chung, W.L.LO & S.Y.R. Hui, and A.Wu (2001): “Implementation of a de-coupled Optimization for design of switching regulator using genetic algorithm”, IEEE Transaction on Power Electronic, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 752-763, Nov. (2001).
 X.M.Ren, A.B.Rad, P.T.Chan and W.L.LO (2003) : “Identification and control of continuous-time nonlinear systems via dynamic neural networks”, IEEE Transaction in Industrial Electronics, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 478-486, 2003
 A.B.Rad, P.T.Chan, W.L.LO, and C.K.Mok (2003): “An On-line learning fuzzy controller”, IEEE Transaction in Industrial Electronics, Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 1016-10214 (2003)
 A.B.Rad, W.L.LO and K.M.Tsang (2003) : “Simulations on-line identification of rational dynamics and time delay: A correlation-based approach” IEEE Transactions in Control System Technology, Vol. 11, No. 6, Nov 2003
 Billy M. T. Ho, Henry S.H. Chung, and W.L.LO (2004) : “Use of System Oscillation to Locate the MPP of PV Panels”, Power Electronics Letters, IEEE, Volume 2, Issue 1, March 2004, pp.1-5
 X M Ren, A B Rad, P T Chan and W.L.LO (2005) : “On-line Identification of Continuous-Systems with unknown time delay”, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 50, No. 9, pp. 1418-1422 Sep 2005
 Jun ZHANG, W.L. LO, and Henry Chung (2006):”Pseudo-coevolutionary Genetic Algorithms for Power Electronic Circuits Optimization”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C., Vol.36, No.4, July 2006.
 Jun ZHANG, Henry Chung and W.L.LO (2007): “Clustering-Based Adaptive Crossover and Mutation Probabilities for Genetic Algorithms” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.11, No.3, June 2007
 Jun ZHANG , H. Chung, and W.L.LO (2008): “Chaotic Time Series Prediction Using a Neuro-Fuzzy System with Time-Delay Coordinates,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering , Vol.20, No.7, July 2008
 Jun Zhang, Henry Shu-Hung Chung, Alan Wai-Lun LO, Tao Huang (2009) : “Extended Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm for Power Electronic Circuit Design”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 1, Jan 2009, pp.147-162
 Victor S. P. Cheung, Henry S. H. Chung, Ke-wei Wang and Alan W.L. LO (2013): “Paralleling Multiple Static Synchronous Series Compensators Using Daisy-Chained Transformers” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2013
 V. S. P. Cheung, H. S. H. Chung, and A. W. L. LO, “A Modular and Scalable Structure Using Multi-Parallel-Connected Series-Voltage Compensators for Supply Voltage Regulation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 4096–4110, Jun. 2016
 Wenguan WANG, Alex Chun-for LIU, Henry Shu-hung CHUNG, Ricky Wing-hong LAU, Jun ZHANG, Alan Wai-lun LO “Fault Diagnosis of Solar Panels Using Dynamic Current-Voltage Characteristics,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 31, no. 2, 2016, pp.588-1599.
 V. S. P. Cheung, R. S. C. YEUNG, H. S. H. Chung, A. W. L. LO and Weimin WU, “A Transformer-less Unified Power Quality Conditioner with Fast Dynamic Control,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. Vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 3926-3937, May 2018.
 J.Zhang, S.H.Chung, W.L.LO & S.Y.R. Hui (2000): “De-coupled Optimization of power electronic circuit using genetic algorithm”, Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms-Applications (Volume 1) Chapter 4″ by L.Chambers, CRC Press.
 Henry S.H.Chung, Eugene P.W.Tam, S.Y.R.Hui, and W.L.LO (2000): “An Optimized Fuzzy Logic Controller for Active Power Factor Corrector Using Genetic Algorithm”, Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms-Applications (Volume 1) Chapter 11″ by L.Chambers, CRC Press.
 F.H. Ho, A.B. Rad, Y.K. Wong and W.L.LO (2004) : “Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Systems with Unknown Time Delay”, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Robotic Welding, Intelligence and Automation, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg Publisher, Volume 299, pp. pp. 304 – 326
 Jun ZHANG, H. Chung, and W.L.LO (2004), “Fuzzy Knowledge Incorporation in Crossover and Mutation”, Knowledge Incorporation in Evolutionary Computation, Series: Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, edited by Yaochu Jin, Springer Press, 2004,ISBN:3-540-22902-7
 Shu Hung Henry Chung, Wenguan Wang, Jun Zhang and Alan Wai-lun LO, Chapter 15 (2016): “Use of computational intelligence for designing power electronics converters,” in IET book Control Circuits in Power Electronics: Practical Issues in Design and Implementation,”, Feb 2016.
H. Fu, S. Y. Li, B. Li and W. L. LO, A digital method, device and system for strabismus diagnosis, Chinese Patent Application, No.: 201710612349.4, 2017
3. Professional Activities
Reviewer, IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics
4. External Funded Research Projects:
- Meteorological Visibility Estimation by using Particle Swarm Optimization and Neural Network, UGC/FDS13/E02/18, Prof. W.L.LO (Principle Investigator), Dr. HONG FU (Co-Investigator), Jan 2019-Dec 2020, 24 months, HK$ 580,275.
- Intelligent assessment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) based on gaze-posture-movement tracking fusion: principle, algorithm and system, UGC/FDS13/E04/18, Dr. Hong FU (Principle Investigator), Prof. W.L.LO (Co-Investigator), Research Grant Committee, Hong Kong, Jan 2019-Dec 2021, 36 months, HK$ 937,350
- Automatic stimulus and synchronous pupil-iris-head tracking for intelligent assessment of strabismus: principle, algorithm and system (Co-Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, UGC/FDS13/E01/17, HK$ 655,600, 01 Jan 2018 – 31 Dec 2021)
- Development of Virtual Reality Teaching Tools for Science and Engineering Education, Principal-Investigator, 01/QESS/2017, Quality Enhancement Support Scheme (QESS) under Self-financing Post-Secondary Education Fund, HK$ 1,778,000, Dec 2017 – Nov 2019, 2 Years)
- Digitalized Assessment Developmental Coordination Disorder with Integrated Eye-Motion Tracking Technology: System and Algorithms (Co-Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, UGC/FDS13/E02/16, HK$ 1,035,675, 01 January 2017 – 31 December 2019)
- Workshop Series in Data Science and Machine Learning Applications (Principal Investigator, IIDS RGC Hong Kong, UGC/IIDS13/E02/16, HK$ 269,200, 01 October 2016 – 31 September 2017)
- A visual platform for the design, implementation, and analysis of collaborative business simulation games (Co-Investigator, T01/QESS/2015, Quality Enhancement Support Scheme (QESS) under Self-financing Post-Secondary Education Fund Collaborate with Hang Seng Management College and Hong Kong Shue Yan University, HK$ 6,600,140 and HK$990,000 run by CHCHE, Nov 2015 – Nov 2018, 3 Years)
- Eye-tracking Aided Digital System for Intelligent Strabismus Diagnosis and Therapy Training: Principle and Prototype (Co-Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, UGC/FDS13/E04/14, HK$ 952,430, 01 October 2014 – 31 September 2017)
- Programme for the Enhancement of Research Capacity in Sustainable Systems and Technologies, Research Group Leader of Department of Computer Science, RGC IDS Hong Kong, UGC/IDS13/14, HK$13,767,934, 01 January 2015 – 31 December 2017)
(1) Excellent paper, the 2016 9thInternational Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE 2016), Hong Kong, August 19-21, 2016.
Winning paper: “Eye-tracking Aided Digital Training System for Strabismus Therapy”.
Authors: Z. Liang, H. Fu, B. Xu and W. L. LO
Elective subjects in Computer Science
CSC167 Neural Networks
CSC185 Digital Signal Processing
CSC170 Computer Simulations
CSC179 Embedded System Design
Core subjects in Computer Science
CSC21 Linear Algebra
CSC152 Algorithm and Complexity
CS131 Computer Architecture
CSC132 Digital Systems
CSC186 IT Professionals in Society
Fundamental subjects in computing and mathematics
MAT103A/B Calculus I/II
MAT108A/B Physics I/II
CSC23 Electronic Circuits and Device