Hong Fu (傅弘), PhD
Area of Specialty
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning with Healthcare Applications
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Ph.D, Information Technology, 2003 – 2007
Xi’an Jiaotong University
M.Eng, Information Technology, 2000 – 2003 (Outstanding graduate)
B.Eng, Information Technology, 1996 – 2000 (Outstanding graduate)
B.Mgt, Marketing (Double degree) , 1996 – 2000
Present Academic Postion
Assoicate Professor, Department of Computer Science, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
1. Selected Publications
- Z. Chen, H. Fu, W. L. Lo and Z. Chi, “Strabismus Recognition Using Eye-tracking Data and Convolutional Neural Networks””, accepted by Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2018. (corresponding author)
- R. Li, B. Li, P. Zhang, H. Fu, W. L. Lo, J. Yu, C. H. P. Sit and D. Wen, “Evaluation of the Fine Motor Skills of Children with DCD using the Digitalized Visual-motor Tracking System”, accepted by Journal of Engineering, 2018. (corresponding author)
- Z. Chen, H. Fu, B. Xu, W. L. Lo and Z. Chi, “An Eye-tracking Aided Digital System for Strabismus Diagnosis”, Healthcare Technology Letters, Volume 5, Issue 1, February 2018, p. 1 – 6. (corresponding author)
- J. Chen, Z. Chen, Z. Chi and H. Fu, “Facial Expression Recognition in Video with Multiple Feature Fusion”, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, Vol. 9, Issue.1, pp. 38-50, 2018. .
- S. Y. Li, B. G. Xu, H. Fu, X. M. Tao and Z. Chi, “A two-scale attention model for intelligent evaluation of yarn surface qualities with computer vision”, The Journal of The Textile Institute, pp 1-15, 31 Aug 2017.
- J. Chen, Z. Chi, and H. Fu, “A New Framework with Multiple Tasks for Detecting and Locating Pain Events in Video,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol. 155, pp. 113–123, 2017.
- J. Chen, Q. Ou, Z. Chi, and H. Fu, “Smile Detection in the Wild with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks,” Machine Vision and Applications, Vol. 28, pp. 173, 2017. doi:10.1007/s00138-016-0817-z.
- H. Fu, Y. Wei, F. Camastra, P. Arico, and H. Sheng, “Advances in Eye Tracking Technology: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications,” Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Vol. 2016, Article ID 7831469, 2 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/7831469
- Y. Chu, X. Mou, H. Fu, Z. Ji, “Blind image quality assessment using statistical independence in the divisive normalization transform domain”, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 24, No. 6, 063008 November 2015.
- H. Zhang, Z. Chen, Z. Chi and H. Fu, “Hierarchical local binary pattern for branch retinal vein occlusion recognition with fluorescein angiography images”, Electronics Letters, Vol. 50 No. 25 pp. 1902–1904, 2014
- Z. Chen, Z. Chi, H. Fu, and D. Feng, “Multi-instance multi-label image classification: a neural approach,” Neurocomputing, Vol. 99, pp. 298-306, 2013.
- Z. Liang, H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “Hypergraph Based Saliency Map Generation with p-ROI Approximation and Validation,” Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.: 013012:1-4, 2012.
- Z. Chen, H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “An Adaptive Recognition Model for Image Annotation,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 1120-1127, 2012.
- Z. Liang, Z. Chi, H. Fu, and D. Feng, “Salient Object Detection Using Content-Sensitive Hypergraph Representation and Partitioning,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 45, No. 11, pp. 3886 – 3901, November 2012.
- Y. Zhang, X. Zhao, H. Fu, Z. Liang, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “A Time Delay Neural Network Model for Simulating Eye Gaze Data,” Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 23 Issue 1, pp. 111-126, March 2011.
- H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “Recognition of attentive objects with a concept association network for image annotation,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 43, Issue 10, pp. 3539–3547, October, 2010.
- H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “An efficient algorithm for attention-driven image interpretation from segments,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 42, Issue 1, pp. 126-140, January 2009.
- H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “Attention-driven Image Interpretation with application to Image Retrieval,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 39, Issue. 9, pp. 1604-1621, 2006.
- H. Fu and Z. Chi, “Combined thresholding and neural network approach for vein pattern extraction from leaf images,” IEE Proceedings – Vision, Image & Signal Processing, Vol. 153, No. 6, pp. 881-892, December 2006.
- H. Fu, Z. Chi, and D. Feng, “Object popping-out and characterization based on the human visual mechanism,” International Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 56-64, 2006.
H. Fu, S. Y. Li, B. Li and W. L. Lo, A digital method, device and system for strabismus diagnosis, Chinese Patent Application, No.: 201710612349.4, 2017
2. Professional Activities
|Lead Guest Editor||Special issue on “Advances in Eye Tracking Technology: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications”, Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience
|Program Committee||DSP 2017 (22nd International Conference on Digital Signal Processing)|
|Technical Committee||The 2017 International Conference on Computing Intelligence and Information System [CIIS2017]|
|Technical Committee||2016 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetic, the SMC Junior 2016
|Technical Committee||PATTERNS 2016|
|Technical Committee||The First International Conference on Advances in Computation, Communications and Services, Spain, 2016|
|Reviewer||IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy System, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE’s Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Pattern Recognition, Pattern Recognition Letters, Journal of Electronic Imaging|
3. External Funded Research Projects:
(1) Automatic stimulus and synchronous pupil-iris-head tracking for intelligent assessment of strabismus: principle, algorithm and system, Principle Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, 2018-2020 HK$655,600
(2) Digitalized Assessment of Developmental Coordination Disorder with Integrated Eye-Motion Tracking Technology: System and Algorithms, Principle Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, 2017~2019, HK$ 1,035,675
(3) Eye-tracking Aided Digital System for Intelligent Strabismus Diagnosis and Therapy Training: Principle and Prototype, Principle Investigator, FDS RGC Hong Kong, 2014~2107, HK$ 952,430
(4) Research on Overcomplete Sparse Decomposition Based Hyperspectral Image Super Resolution, Co-Investigator, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 2013~2105, ￥240,000.
(5) Development of Virtual Reality Teaching Tools for Science and Engineering Education, Co-Investigator, QESS, 2017~2019, HK$ 1,778,000
(6) A visual platform for the design, implementation, and analysis of collaborative business simulation games, Co-Investigator, QESS, 2015~2018, HK$ 6,600,140, 2015
(1) Outstanding Research Award, Chu Hai College of Higher Education, 2017.
(2) Excellent paper, the 2016 9th International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE 2016), Hong Kong, August 19-21, 2016.
Winning paper: “Eye-tracking Aided Digital Training System for Strabismus Therapy”.
Authors: Z. Liang, H. Fu, B. Xu and W. L. Lo
(3) Second Runner-Up Award, Emotion Recognition In The Wild Challenge, 16th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, Turkey, November 2014
Winning paper: “Emotion Recognition in the Wild with Feature Fusion and Multiple Kernel Learning”.
Authors: Mr JunKai Chen, Dr Zenghai Chen, Dr Zheru Chi and Dr Hong Fu
(4) Best short paper, Eye Tracking Research and Applications 2010 (ETRA2010)
Winning paper: “Content-based Image Retrieval Using a Combination of Visual Features and Eye Tracking Data”.
Authors: Z. Liang, H. Fu, Y. Zhang, Z. Chi, and D. Feng,
(5) Best short paper, Eye Tracking Research and Applications 2010 (ETRA2010)
Winning paper: “Eye Movement as an Interaction Mechanism for Relevance Feedback in a Content-Based Image Retrieval System” .
Authors: Y. Zhang, H. Fu, Z. Liang, Z. Chi, and D. Feng,
Elective subjects in Computer Science
CSC163 Multimedia Information System
CSC171 Image Processing
CSC156 Computer Graphics
CSC167 Neural Networks
CSC179 Computer Vision and Applications
CSC185 Digital Signal Processing
Core subjects in Computer Science
CSC152 Algorithm and Complexity
CS131 Computer Architecture
CSC132 Digital Systems
Fundamental subjects in computing and mathematics
CSC110 Introduction to Computing
MAT103A Calculus I
MAT108B Physics II
CSC23 Probability and Statistics
ABA102 Business Statistics
BBA213 Business Calculus
BBA114 Business Mathematics